Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Jobs, Jobs Everywhere!

As many of you already know, Ross was laid-off in January, due to company-wide budget cuts. It was a huge blow and an extremely challenging circumstance. However, after a lot of hard work, Ross has found a new job with Metabank, in downtown Des Moines. His title will be credit analyst, or senior credit analyst (something like that) and he starts Monday the 30th. The major downfall is that he has to wear a full suit and tie everyday, but he's excited! :)

As far as my career goes... I just can't seem to stay in the same position for very long. I started out teaching first and second grade math and literacy my first two years in Ankeny. Then Ankeny decided to absorb the math and literacy teachers into the regular gen-ed classrooms to reduce class size (Which didn't really happen, but it was a good idea.) I wanted to go to first grade, but ended up in third and I've had the best year teaching, yet! I love third grade! However, my 5-10 year plan is to be an instructional coach, mentoring teachers to facilitate best practice in the classroom. So, when the literacy leader position opened in my building, I figured that it would be a great stepping stone to attaining my goal. As of yesterday, I am proud to say that I will be our building's literacy leader for the 2009-2010 school year. Essentially, I will be working with at-promise (struggling) readers in small groups and one-on-one situations, along with helping to facilitate professional development in the area of literacy for elementary teachers. It should a fun ride! I look forward to the challenges it brings.

1 comment: